2nd Annual Charles Newlon Forestry Forum
To be held on the evening of Wednesday October 3, 2018 at Duke Farms, Hillborough, NJ. To register, click here.
“Natural Climate Solutions: How Northeastern Forests Can Help Solve the Climate Problem”
About Dr. Griscom: Bronson Griscom directs the carbon science team at The Nature Conservancy, and leads a research program looking at the potential of cost-effective climate mitigation options including protection, restoration, and adoption of best management practices across forests, agricultural lands, and wetlands (for example, a recent PNAS publication here). His team focuses on the three largest options: improved natural forest management, avoided forest conversion, and reforestation. For example, Bronson is leading a Science for Nature and People (SNAPP) working group synthesizing science to inform climate smart forestry in southern Mexico and East Kalimantan, Indonesia. His team developed the first carbon methodology to verify the climate benefits of reduced-impact logging practices across the tropics.
Prior to joining The Nature Conservancy, Bronson coordinated a successful effort at the U.S. Department of State, as an AAAS fellow, to make climate change funding available for forest-climate initiatives through the Global Environmental Facility (GEF). He completed a post-doc at the Canaan Valley Institute in West Virginia studying restoration of high elevation Appalachian forests. He completed a Ph.D. in tropical forest ecology from the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies in 2003, and received my M.Sc. from New York University in plant genetics and conservation.
The Partners of the Good Stewards Coalition involved with the 2nd Annual Charles Newlon Forestry Forum are:
- NJ Division of the Allegheny Society of American Foresters
- NJ Chapter of The Wildlife Society
- Duke Farms
- Hudson Farm Foundation
- Open Trails NJ
- NJ Audubon
- NJ Forestry Association
- NJ Tree Farm Program
- NJ Outdoor Alliance Conservation Foundation
- Forest Stewards Guild
- Firman E. Bear Chapter of the Soil & Water Conservation Society
- NJ State Council of Trout Unlimited
- NJ State Council of the National Wild Turkey Federation
- NJ Farm Bureau
- Skylands Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society
- NJ State Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs
- DEP Division of Parks & Forestry
- DEP Division of Fish & Wildlife
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Pinchot Institute for Conservation
- Sustainable Jersey
- NJ Chapter of The Nature Conservancy
By bringing a true authority such as Dr. Griscom to New Jersey, we elevate the public discourse regarding forestry.
For more information about the Charles Newlon Forestry Forum, click here.